All day at work, I realized I repeat a mantra of tips and suggestions to our customers to give them helpful advice when picking and choosing out items and outfits.
Today, I decided to compile them all here, and share with you my helpful hints for creating interesting outfits in the morning.
1. The Power of 3. Sure you can wear a top and jeans, or a dress and sweater, but there is nothing special about that. I always try to compose an outfit made of three elements. I might grab a dress, but style it with a scarf and a jacket. Or I might style my jeans with a longer blouse peeking out of a sweater. Having three key pieces keeps your look new and gives a more "completed" look to the eye.
2. The Unexpected. There is nothing I love more then an outfit made up of unexpected elements. Possibly a tomboyish flannel with a sequined skirt? A boyfriend jean with a lacey top? Try to mix soft pieces with tougher elements for an interesting look!
3. Have the Basics. Everyone has a great LBD in their closet. Think of new ways to wear that basic piece to make it look totally different. Maybe with heels and a statement necklace one day and then layered over button up with some leggings and boots? Don't just wear a basic as a basic, use it as a blank template!
4. Season, Schmeason. Be creative with your pieces from other seasons! Take your favorite strappy white summer dress, add some riding boots and a chunky knit in the winter months! Or take that same sweater and add a wedge and denim short in the spring! Think of new ways to use the pieces that you only pull out once or twice a year!
5. Be Mindful of your Body. There are just some trends I will never embrace because of my figure. No matter how cute the item might be, it might just not be for me. Remember to dress in styles and silhouettes that flatter YOU.
6. Accessorize it! Keep a few outfit enhancing accessories around for a quick fix! A great waist cinching belt, a pashmina that can double as a scarf or wrap, or a great watch that can add instant polish to any outfit.
7. Plan Ahead. I always plan or brainstorm an outfit the night before or while I am getting ready for the day so I don't end up staring blankly into my closet. I have a hook on the wall outside my closet where I can set up an outfit, head to toe. You can always lay the pieces you know you want to wear on your bed or just pull them to the front of your closet. Having a plan helps you feel more put together, then rushed and thrown together!
8. Trends VS. Classics. Invest in classic pieces, like a great figure flattering skinny jean, a great boot, and a structured blazer and save on the trends that come and go. Don't fill your closet full of peplum tops, because thats what is in. Get one or two that you like and use those classic pieces to help anchor the style.
9. Inspiration. Ever feel inspired by a look in a magazine, a girl you see walking by, or a blogger? Take that outfit and make it your own! Use pieces you already have to create a similar look. Sometimes seeing someone in a piece I already own inspires me to dig it out and style it in a new way.
10. Have Fun! Too be honest, getting dressed can be a chore or it can be fun! You are allowed to make mistakes or look back and say "What was I thinking?". If you feel happy and confident in the outfit at the time, go for it! Remember tomorrow is right around the corner, its another day and a whole new look!