Press


header-01

Friday, May 4

Decorate with Instagram

     Since I spotted this idea on Daffodil Design on Monday, I had my posters ordered and delivered, framed and hung by Thursday! I have always printed out my Instagram photos individually, but it had never dawned on me to print them all together as a poster! I love this idea so much because I capture little moments of our life every single day on my phone, and I love to be able to walk by and remember those little moments.
     First off, I headed to Posterdog to print out my pictures. I found this site much easier and straight forward to use then others. Next, choose whichever size you would like your poster to be, I went with a 20in. x 28in. poster in Semi Gloss. When you get to the template to insert your photos, go to the drop down menu and choose 'grid layout'. Based on the size you want your Instagram photos you can choose, from the pre-selected list according to your size, the number of photos you want to appear on the poster. I choose to put 35 on each.

     Next, you can simply use their tool to browse your computer and choose which photos you would like. Since I made two posters to start with, I used my favorite photos from 2011 and broke them up into two sections. I tried to keep them fairly chronological as well, so it kind of told a story of our year! The site is really easy to select and remove photos, and then just drag them around to arrange them where you want on the grid. 

     I was able to search and find a 15% off code and with shipping and tax it came to just about $45. If you want to make smaller posters, the price gets more affordable. I placed the order Tuesday morning and by Thursday afternoon they were waiting for me on my doorstep! I was very pleased with the prompt delivery and quality!

To frame the posters, I used the Ikea "Nyttja" in 19in. x 27in. I usually stick to the Ribba frame, but with our hallway being very narrow and heavily traveled, I went with the thinnest frame with the plastic insert, to avoid any glass breakage should it fall. I was afraid of it looking cheap, but I really like how it turned out! Because the Ikea frames are slightly smaller I had to trim the sides of the poster, which I didn't do with any skill, I just took scissors and went to town! 

     I had told the boy I was working on a project not sure if he would be into it or not, but when he saw them he loved it. We got to laugh and look over all the photos and remember the little story that went along with each photo. I made sure to include things like the first picture of our puppy (the one I texted him over and over that I had taken in the pet store), the day we picked up the keys to our house, and even little things like a Starbucks mug or flowers he got me for our Anniversary. I am smitten with the result and will be making another one for 2012 soon! We are going to line our hallways until we run out of room! 
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, what a brilliant idea! Love it, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've seen this before and love it! this post was to final push to do it :) yessss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just is so fun to have all your photos right there on the wall!

      Delete
  3. What a fun way to display those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome! doing it right now.

    http://challengedromantic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Show me a photo of the final product if you do it!!

      Delete
  5. This is so cool!! Thanks for sharing.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I'm in need of new art for my walls. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this! but how do you upload your instagram photos? i use iphoto but when the pictures come off my phone, they are just regular pictures. am i missing an application somewhere? i've been trying different things for over an hour and cannot figure it out! Help! thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So to make these poster collages I upload the photos straight to poster dog.com otherwise, you can "email" yourself the photos from your phone, which is what Ido sometimes to transfer them quick. just go to your photos (on the phone) and click the arrow on the right top side and then select the photos you want to move, then on the bottom hit "move" and options will show up. choose email and send it to yourself. then open the message on your computer and download them straight to your hard drive! Hope this helps!

      Delete
  8. I am trying so hard to figure this out. On my i-phone, I followed your response to Shannon but it only allows me to make a new album or print the ones I select. There is not an option to email or save to my hard drive. Also, after you pick the grid, do you then add the white border or do you add the border each time you upload a picture one at a time?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time out to leave a comment! I love and read every single one! XO! -Hayley